Friday, June 29, 2018

Megawhine (#15)

I have never flown with an ultra low cost carrier, but Kayak informed me that the cheapest way to get from Athens to London* is on Ryanair, so I booked a seat on one of its flights. Whilst doing so, I was informed that the fee for carry-on luggage is USD 7.50 (yes, those F**KING US dollars again). If I want to check baggage, Ryanair has 36 different checked baggage fees so I don’t have any idea what it will cost, other than a generic F**KLOAD of money (so I decided that I am going to travel very lightly, especially since Ryanair’s carry-on baggage allowance is below industry standard**). If my carry-on bag exceeds the maximum dimensions/weight allowable, that will cost me another £50. If I forget to check in online because my brain has gone groggy from over-gorging in Greece, I will be charged £50. If I fail to print my boarding pass before going to the airport, or if I lose it enroute, I will be required to pay a Boarding Card Reissue Fee (£60)***. And heaven help me if I didn’t spell my name correctly when I booked the flight, or if I decide to change my moniker between now and September 14: that will set me back £160 at the airport, or £115 if I do it online (aacckk!—I really hope I don’t get fined for failing to have added my middle name to the booking, since it appears on my passport; apparently oversights like booking as “Rob” instead of “Robert” will bring down the wrath of Ryanair upon one's wallet). Oh, and if the plane is delayed for hours on end on the tarmac and I’m dying of thirst, I’ll have to pay dearly to quench that too

I wonder if there's a charge for using the bathroom on the plane? And if there's turbulence, do the flight attendants sell barf bags?

* Kayak previously informed me that it would be cheaper to fly from Athens to any number of cities in Europe, and from there to Toronto, than to purchase a Toronto-Athens round-trip ticket. So hey, despite my whining about the cost of this voyage, I decided to take advantage of the chance to spend some time in London. Of course--and despite the fact that economics was the only subject that I came close to failing in school--I do realize that the accommodation/food costs there will wipe out any savings in terms of the flight costs, but hey, would you give up what amounts to a “free” trip to London? (Although I am now seriously wondering whether my $200 Ryanair flight is going to end up costing more than my Toronto-Athens and London-Toronto flights combined.)

** And even if one’s hand baggage does meet the size requirements, the extortionist Ryanair staff might still charge for  oversized carry-on if they think you're trying to game the system by using squishable luggage (https://www.tripsavvy.com/ryanair-baggage-allowance-4134912).

*** They can also charge this fee if one’s printed boarding pass is deemed not up to snuff, for reasons such as:
·        Print-out is of bad quality
·        Page is damaged
·        Part of the page is missing. One must print everything, including the advertisement.


6 comments:

  1. Holy crap. The state of air travel makes me nauseated and my grandfather, an airline mechanic from the dawn of commercial air travel, is turning in his grave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also suddenly feeling much better about my vacationless summer stretching ahead of me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never flown Ryan Air, and from what you've said, I never will. I've flown a competitor, Easyjet, which was perfectly fine, though my husband has declared he will never fly it again.

    On the bright side, what you've saved on your flight will help pay for your London stopover, and since Brexit, the pound isn't quite as exorbitant as it used to be. Though regardless, I always try to get a stopover in London if I can!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I'd heard bad things about Ryan Air, but this is horrible.

    I have considered flying Wow Airlines to Europe via Iceland, but am concerned that, too, is as bad as Ryan Air.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ditto Kim. All I can add to that is OMG.

    ReplyDelete