What kind of piss-poor advice is it to tell people to live like there’s no tomorrow? Unless there actually is no tomorrow, I’m sure I’d regret it for the rest of my tomorrows if I told everyone exactly what I thought of them, ran naked down Princess Street announcing to the world that I’m Princess Leia and I’m looking for my no-good Jedi of a husband, treated all my friends to the most expensive spa-and-champagne day ever, and sold my house and cashed in my RRSPs to make a bunch of long-distance calls* and put a down payment on the next SpaceX flight**.
* I no longer have a long-distance plan since I Skype instead.
** I know this makes no earthly sense, but if there’s no tomorrow I’m jettisoning logic and practicality.
I love that your last thing implies a tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteB got you there!
ReplyDeleteAnd yes, there's no hope if there isn't a tomorrow. In fact, thinking about tomorrow is what keeps me going through today.
Also, your last point - my husband would adore you for that suggestion. God, I hope he never reads this or there go our retirement savings.
No, that last one was on purpose--hence the footnote about not making sense and abandoning logic.
DeleteAlthough truthfully, even if I were a gazillionaire, I would not sign up for a space flight: I would be vomiting the whole time. Plus I'm afraid of heights.
Helen, we may have a lot in common on this point.
DeleteLaughing at your post, and all the comments as well.
ReplyDeleteYeah, I have always found the saying "live like there's no tomorrow" rather stupid.
ReplyDeleteI prefer the saying "live like you have company coming over". It helps keep things tidy.
ReplyDeleteI'm always saying this to children: "Make the living room company-ready"
Delete"Are people coming over?"
"No."
"Dance like no one is watching" could lead to some trouble too.
ReplyDelete