If people with a sense of humour never become fanatics*, perhaps we need to devise a screening test for humour—like recording the number of laughs elicited during a Blackadder episode. If it’s <10 (or 20, if it’s the one where Blackadder’s puritanical relatives come to dinner and Baldrick serves a turnip resembling male genitalia), humour training would be mandatory.
*As noted by Amos Oz in How to Cure a Fanatic.
Love this.
ReplyDeleteOh, dear. I never heard of Blackadder. This is not good.
ReplyDeleteYou're so clever - making Blackadder about food!
ReplyDeleteSo can I also suggest, the one in the trenches, where Baldrick makes Blackadder a cappuccino?
Ha! I remember lots of rats being served by Baldrick in that series, but not cappuccino. I'll have to try and find that episode.
DeleteThat sense-of-humour theory seems dead on.
ReplyDeleteI must try Blackadder again. Does it have a studio audience where we can hear people laughing? (or worse, a laugh track?) I am trying to remember why I didn't take to it.
ReplyDeleteI don't remember if there's a laugh track: I don't think it needs one, but the humour may not be to everyone's taste, of course. I'm a huge Rowan Atkinson fan.
Delete