Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Scary October (#9)

I once saw an interview with a man* who had devised a system to alert passersby if one had been buried alive. It was decidedly low-tech. A bell was installed beside one’s resting place, and a rope run from the bell into the casket. Presumably, the not-yet-dead resident could pull the rope to request immediate disinterment.**

The idea seemed absurd. For starters, how many people are buried alive each year? But then I talked with a doctor, who said it was surprisingly difficult to determine whether a person is dead (at least pre rigor mortis). Whenever she was called somewhere to declare a death, she would make sure to arrive at least 30 minutes later, just to be sure.

* He claimed to have been buried alive three times.
** Perhaps the system should include an optional add-on whereby a shovel, or backhoe, is installed next to the bell.


6 comments:

  1. I've heard the bell thing before. If you're nervous, not a bad thing. Though you'd think the whole embalming thing would do you in if you weren't done in already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point. I seem to recall he was from a country in South or Central America. Maybe embalming isn't standard practice for burials there?

      Delete
  2. But...it involves an accomplice, right? Someone to put the system together so he can ring the bell?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One would hope that installation is included.

      Delete
  3. "Saved by the bell" is supposed to have originated from the bell and coffin thing -- I have my doubts.

    ReplyDelete