Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Scary October (#4)

I just got back from a six-day trip to Nova Scotia for a family Thanksgiving. The total driving distance was slightly over 3200 kilometres, and I brought a couple of audio books to pass the time. One was 1984. I don’t know how long it took Orwell to write it, and I wonder if he became suicidal while inhabiting that dark, dark world he created (or maybe he was suicidal before he commenced writing it, and poured his despair into the story). I still have two CDs to listen to and I’m hoping that some glimmer of light infiltrates the horror—I read it many years ago, and can’t remember how the story ends—but I fear Orwell is scoffing at me from his tortured grave.

4 comments:

  1. I'm a bit like IB. After all, The Handmaid's Tale was a bit too close to home (or your home, at least).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reread it a few years ago. I already don't remember how it ends, but I don't recall any light glimmers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am listening to 1984 too.

    Did you know the republicans are claiming it as their own? I've seen tweets and facebook posts claiming Democrats use newspeak.

    ReplyDelete