Mali’s comment on my most recent post got me curious about embalming. It is indeed a surefire way to ensure that you’re not buried alive, although “if you live in a “First World” country, you don’t have to worry about getting buried or cremated alive. We’re pretty good at determining death. For the most part.”
But don’t breathe a sigh of relief yet; there’s always a chance you may be embalmed alive. According to one funeral director, “When somebody dies at the hospital, it’s pretty much a 100 percent guarantee that they’re dead. You have heart monitors, oxygen monitors, and so on. But a lot of people are choosing to die at home under hospice care, and that changes things.”
Crap! Another thing to worry about.
ReplyDeleteNo no no no no. I didn't need to know this!!!
ReplyDeleteOh shit. I hope the nurse who checked that my mom was actually dead was right.
ReplyDeleteSorry, I'm realizing that some of these posts may be inappropriate. I suspect the probability of anyone being declared dead when they're not is very, very low.
DeleteTotally appropriate for this month.
DeleteDon't worry, I was mostly joking.
DeleteEEEEEK
ReplyDeleteWhen we were in the nursing home with my mother-in-law after her death, but before the dr had come to verify her death, my husband kept joking that her eyes were opening, or that she would sit up and scare US to death!
ReplyDelete