Thursday, April 19, 2018

People (#12)

A ravishing blond who drove an MG and managed an on-par-with-Marilyn-Monroe sized posse of male admirers, J’s heart sprung a leak in her early 30s while at sea. Fortunately, the occasion was a dinner-cruise fundraiser for a local hospital, and she received immediate medical attention. Those who know her better swear she wasn’t the same person afterwards, but all I detected was a newfound love of cats, supplanting her previous devotion to dogs*. 

*Prior to the event in question, J always had dogs and no time for cats. She now has six cats and no time for dogs.

7 comments:

  1. I've read of such transformations happening after a heart transplant—was that what she had? But at first I thought "heart sprung a leak" meant she fell in love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, she experienced a tear or rupture or whatever the correct term is in her heart. I don't think she had a heart transplant... it was a quadruple bypass, if I remember correctly. She is entirely reliant on a pacemaker now: her heart will not beat on its own at all.

      But she did fall in love shortly before all that happened, so maybe it was a precipitating factor :) .

      Delete
  2. Coming face to face with your own mortality makes you decide what's important in life. Cats rule.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry she was left so broken! (JK - I have dogs and no cats because on kid is allergic to cats, but I honestly don't understand the cats vs dogs divide.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no pets. I love other people's cats and dogs. I mean, the cats and dogs who aren't assholes.

      Delete
  4. What an interesting change (says this cat person).

    ReplyDelete