In May 2018, I bought a kit to knit a dragon for a friend’s 70th birthday. I had only completed two rows by the time we celebrated her birthday in October. (I had actually knit many, many more rows than that, but I had to keep ripping them out. I was trying to learn a technique called magic loop and I obviously wasn’t a very skilled magician.)
There has been a veritable saga since that time of yarn so tangled all knitting had to be put on hold and dropped stitches and failed stitch pick-ups—perhaps I need to work on my small talk—and tears and ranting and apoplexy, but the project is finally DONE!!! And just in time, as the intended recipient is moving to Winnipeg tomorrow (and turning 73 in October).
The kit stated that the dragon’s name is Flytton, but I decided that Wabi-Sabi is a better one. It is a Japanese term that incorporates the notion of accepting, and maybe even embracing, imperfection. I first learned of it from the contractors who did my basement—they would invoke wabi sabi whenever something didn’t quite work out as planned.
Meet imperfect-but-DONE!!! Wabi-Sabi.

Congratulations on finishing Wabi-Sabi! What an effort. He/she is beautiful. I hope the recipient loves him, and appreciates the years of work you've put in.
ReplyDeleteAs you know, I also think dropped stitches are the worst!
PS. I'd never heard of Wabi-sabi but clearly it covers cultures.
DeleteCongratulations, Helen. Wabi-sabi looks perfect to me.
ReplyDeleteI love it. And a perfect name. (I am very impressed with your magical prowess.)
ReplyDelete