Early one morning a few weeks ago I took myself and my second cup of coffee of the day to a nearby conservation area. As I sat flipping through my notebook I came across something I had written a long time ago about someone I had briefly dated. It sounded vaguely poem-like and so I tried to turn it into one, although in doing so I realized that I have no idea how one decides where to put line breaks. It was all a shot in the dark and I’m sure I committed more than one poetic homicide. And I no doubt failed to take advantage of the connotative dynamism and aesthetic value of ink abutting blankness.* Hence, “Poem?"
Liminal space
I didn’t believe you when you mentioned in passing that that storefront
window contains a door that leads to an upstairs apartment
where people who have no connection to the sale of women
’s undergarments live.
But I believed you when you mentioned in passing that you
were a hoarder who had 16 garbage bags full of who-knows-what
stored under the pool table in your “living” room/in-house landfill.
And I believed you when you mentioned in passing that you drank
Starbucks coffee out of disposable cups instead of bringing
a travel mug to an independent coffee shop.
And I believed you when you mentioned in passing that you lived
with your mother and your sister and her daughter Lily
and maybe living with a collection of relatives is merely
a symptom of the hoarding you previously mentioned in passing
and therefore should not be counted as a separate
mark against you but I took it as such and by that point you had three
strikes and were out of my little black book.
But a few months ago when I was shopping for a strapless bra to wear
under a sleeveless dress which isn’t at all a flattering look
for me but I hoped I could pull it off nevertheless I peered
more closely at that storefront window and by golly
it does contain a door although I don’t know if it led to an upstairs apartment
where people who have no connection to the sale of women
’s undergarments live.
And as I walk today in a literal fog, bare-branched bushes
festooned with doilies spun by spiders and chickadee
warlords demanding tribute before they let me pass
I wonder why I hoard these memories instead of something useful like women
’s undergarments.
* If you’re not taking advantage of the connotative dynamism and aesthetic value of ink abutting blankness afforded by poetic line breaks, you’re not writing the best poetry. In fact, you’re not writing poetry at all. (https://notesofoak.com/discover-literature/poetic-line-breaks-guide/ )
Hurrah! Helen writes! And a poem even... 24 days ago...
ReplyDeleteIt definitely is a (delightful) poem and I will now click on the link and read about "connotative dynamism and aesthetic value of ink abutting blankness".
Hurrah, I have a reader again--I am delighted!
ReplyDeleteOh, Helen, how I
ReplyDeletehave missed your way
with words
' apostrophes.
Also, this phrase - " bare-branched bushes
festooned with doilies spun by spiders and chickadee
warlords demanding tribute before they will let me pass" - is pure genius.
Aw, thanks, both of you; you're a treasured support group/cheering section.
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness. I love this. Thank you, dear Helen.
ReplyDelete