Saturday, October 10, 2020

Regret

Although my mother subjugated the skein of anarchy into a rotund, submissive sphere--which reminds me, did I ever mention that an ancestor on her side of the family was an aide-de-camp of William the Conquerer?--I am still making little headway with birthing the knitted dragon. Its advanced gestational age is now a source of great shame. 

And so when I came across this three-line poem at the start of a chapter in Lydia Davis’s Essays One: 

i shouldn’t have started these red wool mittens.

they’re done now,

but my life is over.


i made only a few word changes to sum up my despair:


i shouldn’t have started this purple dragon.

it will never be done, 

before my life is over. 






5 comments:

  1. Oh, so wonderful. And whose Op. 6 No. 19 is this, pray tell?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so observant--I am taking an online ukulele fingerpicking class. (Actually, I signed up years ago. Another never-ending project, although this one is more fun than knitting.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And this is where I fear my imagination has shrivelled along with my corporeal self: I'm sure even a few years ago I would have responded that the sheet music belongs to my matador lover, who serenades me at dusk in a blood-soaked fever of lust.

      Instead, I now recount only the mundane truth. Sigh...

      Delete
    2. Your truths seem far from mundane.

      Delete
  3. I'm impressed that you untangled the yarn, let alone can actually knit. Perfect poetry pairings.

    ReplyDelete