I also had a difficult time choosing a restaurant. I love Sima Sushi, where I always order the same items: shiitake mushroom “pizza,” yam tempura, and avocado rolls. I also love Chez Piggy. The menu there changes frequently, but if I were to go there this week—which I cannot, because all the bars and restaurants are closed—I would order one of their delicious vegetarian entrees and try to remember to save room for one of their exquisite desserts, which I never manage to do because the chewy sourdough bread is too tempting. But I finally settled on Tango Nuevo, because they serve tapas--and what can top tapas for truly sharing a meal? I’ve reserved a table at 7:30 p.m. for the first night all international borders have reopened. The reservation is for eight people, and EVERYONE is expected to attend (Kim, Indigo, Bridgett, Mali, Maureen, Dona, and Susan, that includes you). You can peruse the restaurant’s menu here, so you’ll have plenty of time to choose one or two sharing plates.a,b,c This will hopefully avoid any dithering during the ordering phase and allow us to quickly transition to the eat, drink and be merry phase. Looking forward to seeing you all!
a Please keep in mind that one of us does not eat anything with a face :) Also, while I’m not sure whether shellfish have a face, I don’t eat them either. Nor am I overly fond of celery, although I know it definitely doesn’t have a face. But it does have a heart.
b I’ve got dibs on the donghae poutine and the avocado tartare.
c Be sure to save room for the Spanish churros for dessert.
Tapas sound great, but I can't open the website.
ReplyDeleteI wonder if they have the capsicum (red pepper) tapas dish that I enjoyed in a smoke-filled bar in Segovia, because it was to die for. Also, the best patatas bravas ever were at Cordoba. They were quite spicy, and nothing like the insipid specimens we were delivered in Barcelona. If they could make those, I think we'd all be happy. And yes to the churros for dessert. (Chocolate and pastry - yum.)
Also, it might have to be the night after the bars and restaurants reopen, because it'll take me more than 24 hours to get there. But I'd endure 24 hours air travel (even in economy) if I could get to have tapas with you all!
PS. Your celery pun would have been perfect for the first week's wordplay post.
I think we should just order one of everything without a face! The vegetable empanadas sound wonderful. And I will save room for the churros.
ReplyDeleteOK. I'm looking at the menu HUNGRY, which is a mistake, because too much looks good. I had to stop. Great choice, Helen. Loved the celery joke. And P.S. I didn't think I liked celery until maybe 3 or 4 years ago when two things happened: I had the celery gimlet at Eventide (one of the best drinks I've ever had and now make at home—the celery is juiced) and when I started buying a friend's soups, in which celery figured but took on the flavor of other things. Turns out what I don't like is raw, crunch celery.
ReplyDeletepatatas bravas and marinated beets for me. I love tapas!!
ReplyDelete