Sunday, December 2, 2018

December free-for-all (#1)

I just listened to a radio interview with Maryanne Wolf, a neuroscientist and author of Reader Come Home: The Reading Brain in a Digital Age. There is now evidence showing that the medium is important: even among digital natives, reading a text in hard copy results in higher comprehension than reading the same text onscreen. 

This is extremely important, as all my blog content is. So please be sure to print out and consume my posts at a leisurely pace—perhaps whilst lounging in a tub full of aromatic bath salts, and accompanied by a glass of a fine vintage red—instead of gulping down the words onscreen. 

8 comments:

  1. Oooo, this is lovely news indeed, with a most lovely idea attached.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This I love. And this: "this is extremely important, as all my blog content is". I just love reading you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this real because I believe it fully. I find myself having to read things on the screen over and over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally real: https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thesundayedition/the-sunday-edition-december-2-2018-1.4927251/too-long-didn-t-read-how-reading-online-is-hurting-our-brains-1.4927296

      Delete
  4. I'm not sure I believe this. I gulped your post down, as I gulp down all your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to admit that I find reading hard-copy more difficult than on-screen -- so much so that I avoid it whenever possible. I don't know it that proves (for me) the study right or wrong though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What does this say about all the universities who expect their students to read e-books now? (I hope the students pay a lot less than they did for paper books, but I'm not counting on it.)

    Yes, your blog content is most definitely important.

    ReplyDelete