Wednesday, November 7, 2018

November places (#3)

Two friends and I backpacked through Asia in the mid 80s*. One of the countries we visited was Burma. At that time it was still plodding along “The Burmese Way to Socialism.” Nothing was being imported from the West and our visit was like travelling back in time to what I imagined was mid-50s** America. We rode from the airport to Rangoon in a taxi so ancient it probably would have made a collector salivate all over the leather rumble seats, but most likely was a huge repair headache for the driver. And nobody wanted our money, at least not the $25 worth of local currency we were forced to buy upon entering the country. It was difficult to spend even that paltry amount during our one-week stay, and I ended up buying some carved wooden “musical” (if you consider nails on a chalkboard that) instrument to spend my remaining kyat. Everyone wanted to be paid in Johnnie Walker Black (or was it Red?), lipstick, or jeans. We paid for our first taxi ride with leftover apples from the flight. 

* Or should that be “mid-80s”?

** Or should that be “mid 50s”?

6 comments:

  1. I had a friend do a year as an exchange student in Finland. They were going to visit the Soviet Union and she was told to bring blue jeans as currency.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you have to go to Cuba to time travel in old cars. Think what you could have done with a suitcase full of Avon samples!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband went to Burma/Myanmar in 1992 when I was busy working in Bangkok. He bought a lot of packets of cigarettes in duty free, then used them for currency. I want to visit, but the whole Rohingya thing stops me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, so interesting! I had no idea these items were so coveted that they could be used as currency. I don't imagine backpackers had a lot of lipsticks. What a wonderful experience you had!

    ReplyDelete