Monday, November 5, 2018

November places (#2)

…the one time I was alone on the streets at 4 a.m., not walking, but driving home. A pair of headlights suddenly flared in the rearview mirror. After travelling a couple of blocks I felt like I was being stalked by a vehicle from a Stephen King novel. This unnerved me and I started cycles of speeding up then slowing down while taking a twisting and turning route to my house, hoping to shake the demon car. No such luck: it continued to follow me. I wondered how much time it would take me to dash from my driveway to the front door, unlock it and get in the house and relock the door. After deciding that whatever was in that car would likely catch and do unspeakable things to me before I made it up the porch steps, I tried to figure out where the nearest 24-hour Tim Hortons was.

Then I heard the whoop of a siren and saw flashing blue and red lights. Apparently my erratic driving had had some effect, although not the one I was aiming for. 

5 comments:

  1. But that's better! That's way better than murder. Although it ticks me off that the cop was so bored that he tailed you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG—I was wondering if it was a cop. But it's a mean thing to do—scare the hell out of a woman!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suspect they thought I was drunk (I wasn't) because of the way I was driving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a friend who thought a cop was following her on a street in Alexandria where the speed limit was 30mph. She always drove like 10 miles under the speed limit, so he was probably just stuck behind her. (this was my 80-something year-old friend).

    ReplyDelete