Friday, March 16, 2018

Secrets and Lies (#9)

We arrived in darkness and ascended to the visual crescendo of a desert sunrise. Having opted for the economy flight, we were served orange juice instead of mimosas and after 30 minutes, the balloon descended. As it hovered, we were ordered to jump airship. We watched, forlorn, as the balloon soared again with its richer payload. 


[Author’s note: Mali’s post the other day reminded me of a hot air balloon ride two friends and I took in Australia in the 1980s.]

4 comments:

  1. Is the lie that you actually drank gallons of mimosas? You paint a gorgeous picture here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lie is that I watched forlornly as the balloon re-ascended. I am terrified of heights and likely kept my eyes closed through most of the flight.

      Delete
    2. Except for the visual crescendo. Love that description.

      Delete
  2. I remember grabbing for the bubbles (I don't think they stretched to champagne in Turkey) once we were safely back on solid ground!

    ReplyDelete