Wednesday, January 3, 2018

#3

I opened the door to the hallway closet and pushed the coats to one side while Ken got the stepladder from the back bedroom. Once he had it in place I climbed to the top rung, pushed the hatch up and back, pressed my forearms down on either side of the opening, swung my left foot back and braced it against the top of the door frame, and hoisted myself into the attic. Before I closed the hatch Ken climbed the ladder and handed me my glass of wine.


“You could have topped it up,” I whispered.



[Author’s note: I have no idea if this manoeuvre would have the desired effect. Unfortunately, I don’t have an attic hatch in a closet to try it out on.]

5 comments:

  1. The manoeuvre seems believable to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good. I was standing in the living room and contorting my body as I tried to imagine the movements. I must have been a very strange sight for any passerbys who looked in the window (maybe they just thought I'm a terrible dancer).

      Delete
  2. I could imagine it. Great last line!

    ReplyDelete